We will explain through this tutorial, how to hack Nintendo Switch 8.0.1 with the custom firmware Atmosphere. Officially, Atmosphère is a work-in-progress customized firmware for the Nintendo Switch. What’s important, it’s a completely free program to hack switch ! Also note that the modification of your console will cancel the manufacturer’s warranty and you may be banned from Nintendo servers if you play online or you connect to the eshop with a modified console, it is up to your risks and perils.
Prerequisite of sd files:
- A Switch console compatible with the RCM flaw
- One way to inject a payload (RCM Loader, USB-C cable with TegraRCM …)
- A jig
- A Sandisk or Samsung micro-SD card preferably
- A backup of your Nand with Hekate (Not required but strongly recommended)
- The latest version of Atmosphere and its payload
-Atmosphère 0.9.0 (5.05 MB)
-Fusée-primary 0.9.0 (54.08 KB)
To know if your Switch is RCM compatible
You should know that all the switch consoles aren’t compatible with hack. You must verify your switch serial number before beginning.
The simplest method is to use sites specialized in the identification of compatible consoles or not according to a database established from a very large number of consoles.
Here is two sites where you can enter your serial number to know the verdict:
La seconde méthode consiste à vérifier votre numéro de série et à le comparer avec les résultats présentés ci-dessous:
Serial numbers beginning with XAW1:
- XAW1007XXX and below: RCM Compatible
- XAW1008XXX: Probably patched
- XAW1009XXX and above: Certainly patched
Serial numbers beginning with XAW7:
- XAW70017X and below: RCM compatible
- XAW70018X: Probably patched
- XAW70019X and above: Certainly patched
Serial numbers beginning with XAJ4:
- XAJ40052X and below: RCM Compatible
- XAJ40053X: Probably patched
- XAJ4006XX and above: Certainly patched
Serial numbers beginning with XAJ7:
- XAJ70042X and below: RCM Compatible
- XAJ70043X: Probably patched
- XAJ7005XX and above: Definitely patched
Micro-SD card preparation:
Format your micro-Sd card in exfat using your PC and then insert it into your console on, it will ask you to restart to create the necessary information, including the Nintendo folder. Then you just turn off your console and remove your card to put it back in your PC.
You must extract the contents of the Atmosphere archive downloaded via the link above and copy it to the root of your micro-SD card. Once done, the contents of your card should look like this:
You can create an additional folder with the name you want to store the different .NSP files you want. To install them will then use a software like Goldleaf or Tinfoil, but we will see this part in another tutorial, this is not the subject here.
Launch of Atmosphere on the Switch:
- Insert your micro-SD card and your jig into your console (right side).
- Then start your console in RCM mode by pressing the VOL + and POWER buttons at the same time.
- Now that your console is in RCM (black screen) mode, all you have to do is inject the Fusée-primaire payload using a RCM Loader style loadloader or a USB-C cable. TegraRCM software. You will then see your console display the Atmosphere loading screen and then start normally.
- Your console is now in custom firmware Atmosphere 8.0.1, you can check it in the system settings or the software version is displayed 8.0.1 (AMS 0.9).
- To access the homebrew menu (HBL), you must hold down the R key and select the “Album” application on your console. Your switch is now modded and you just have to install the various homebrews that you want to use by depositing them directly in the “switch” folder on your micro-SD card!
- The manipulation with the RCM Loader and the jig is to be done each time you completely turn off your console. If you leave your console in standby without turning it off, in the dock for example, then you have nothing to do!
- You will find many very nice and useful software like the emulator MelonDS, which as its name suggests is used to emulate the Nintendo DS or the emulator PNES which deals with the NES emulation, and much more !
If you need any help or additional information about this tutorial, do not hesitate to join our Discord Salon: